Phenacetin CAS 62-44-2 Product Information
|132 °C / 4mmHg
|1.1248 (rough estimate)
|0.076 mg/100 mL
|Keep in a dry, cool and well-ventilated place and keep container tightly closed
Phenacetin CAS 62-44-2 applications
- Chemical Structure: Phenacetin has a chemical formula of C10H13NO2. It consists of a phenyl group attached to an acetamido group (CH3CO-NH-) through an ethoxy (C2H5O) linker.
- Historical Use: Phenacetin was commonly used as a pain reliever and fever reducer in the past, particularly in the early to mid-20th century. It was an ingredient in numerous over-the-counter and prescription medications.
- Analgesic and Antipyretic Effects: Phenacetin works by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins, which are substances involved in pain and inflammation. It was primarily used for the relief of mild to moderate pain and to reduce fever.
- Safety Concerns and Discontinuation: Phenacetin has been associated with adverse effects, including kidney damage and the risk of developing a condition called methemoglobinemia, which affects oxygen transport in the blood. Due to these safety concerns, the use of phenacetin has been largely discontinued in many countries, and it is no longer a recommended or approved medication.
- Regulatory Status: Phenacetin is a controlled substance in several countries and is classified as a suspected carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
- Availability: Due to its discontinued use and safety concerns, phenacetin is not commonly available for purchase as a pharmaceutical product. It is important to note that using or possessing phenacetin without proper authorization may be illegal.