4′-Methylpropiophenone CAS 5337-93-9 Product Parameter
1-(4-Methylphenyl)-1-propanone; 1-(4-methylphenyl)-propan-1-one; 1-(4-methylphenyl)propan-1-one; 1-(p-Tolyl)propan-1-one; 1-Propanone, 1-(4-methylphenyl)-;
4′-Methylpropiophenone Storage Conditions
- Store in a cool place to prevent excessive heat exposure.
- Keep the container tightly closed to prevent air or moisture from entering.
- Store in a dry and well-ventilated place to maintain stability.
4-Methylpropiophenone is a chemical reagent with an aromatic ketone that is propiophenone bearing a methyl group at C-4. It serves as pharmaceutical and synthesis material intermediate, and it is also used in electrocarboxylation reactions.
4′-Methylpropiophenone, also known as p-Tolyl methyl ketone or 4-Methylphenylacetone, has various uses in different industries. Here are some common applications:
- Pharmaceutical Intermediates: 4′-Methylpropiophenone is often used as an intermediate in the synthesis of pharmaceutical compounds. It serves as a building block in the production of drugs and pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Fragrance and Flavor Industry: Due to its aromatic properties, 4′-Methylpropiophenone is utilized in the fragrance and flavor industry. It contributes to the creation of scents and flavors in products such as perfumes, colognes, soaps, and food additives.
- Chemical Research and Development: Researchers and chemists may employ 4′-Methylpropiophenone as a starting material or reagent in the development of new chemical compounds. It provides the necessary structural elements for the synthesis of various organic molecules.
- Organic Synthesis: 4′-Methylpropiophenone finds applications in diverse organic synthesis reactions. It can be used to produce other ketones, alcohols, and carboxylic acids through further chemical transformations.
- Laboratory Reagent: In laboratory settings, 4′-Methylpropiophenone may serve as a reagent or reference compound for analytical purposes, characterization studies, or experimental procedures.
4 methylpropiophenone synthesis
To synthesize 4-methylpropiophenone, mix acetophenone and isobutyraldehyde in a 1:1 ratio with an acid catalyst. Add a solvent and heat the mixture under reflux conditions for 4-6 hours. After cooling, extract the crude product with water, separate the organic layer, and dry it with drying agents. Optionally, purify the product through simple distillation.